Position Description - Project Coordinator
Who we are and what we do
At ParsonsTKO (PTKO), we work with mission-driven organizations to help them drive better engagement with audiences – their donors, members, grantees, employees, or anyone they communicate with regularly. We like to think our approach is a little different, blending the best of consulting firms, digital agencies, and design firms. We call what we do Engagement Architecture, combining strategy to organize outreach and messaging, the technology deployed to deliver them, and the tactics used to integrate audience touch points and interactions. We help our clients organize and manage not just their website and other communications software, but also the related marketing and outreach strategies that connect people to their mission. You can view a sampling of our clients and case studies of our work.
Who we’re looking for
Our Project Coordinators support the many and moving parts of our projects from start to finish, partnering closely with Engagement Directors to balance client satisfaction, functional team needs, and PTKO financial and operational targets. They maintain order across our systems so that clients and team members always have a snapshot available, providing progress tracking and communication to keep projects on time and within budget. In a given week, our Project Coordinators would…
Coordinate project, staff, and client schedules
- Schedule and facilitate internal meetings, including weekly/daily stand-ups, sprint open/closes, backlog grooming sessions, deliverable reviews
- Establish and maintain a client check-in cadence that supports strong communications and relationship building
- Ensure quality of all meetings, including preparing agendas and materials, briefing PTKO teams, managing meeting logistics, ensuring meetings stay on time, capturing notes, consolidating and synthesizing minutes, tracking any follow-ups or action items
- Communicate clearly with all stakeholders before and after meetings about logistics, expectations, and next steps
Ensure projects are organized and delivering work on time and on budget
- Create, maintain and monitor overall project schedules, including timelines, payment milestones, and deliverables
- Configure and maintain spaces in our project management tools (Teamwork, JIRA, Confluence, 10,000 feet, and/or Google Drive), including setting up client, team and contractor access and providing training as needed
- Ensure project documentation is up-to-date and clearly organized, so that clients, teammates, and PTKO leadership have a views of current project status
- Direct and facilitate communications among clients and teammates to report status, move work forward, and resolve questions and issues
- Monitor and update team tasking system for accuracy, and build your understanding of common tasks and associated time estimates by project phase and project type
- Track progress against timeline, budget and scope, work with Engagement Directors to resolve issues
- Report project status to PTKO leadership, escalating risks and issues as needed
- Support deliverable creation as needed, including creating templates or outlines, writing status reports, or formatting work into client-ready documents
Support development of PTKO Project Processes
- Identify and raise opportunities for improvement in our processes to Project Coordinators/Project Managers, and PTKO leadership
- Independently learn, test, and refine new tools or processes to improve project efficiency, consistency, and profitability
- Create or refine documentation of standard PTKO processes
- Conduct retroactive reviews of all projects to identify opportunities for improvements in estimating of work and/or project delivery
Desired skills and experience
Our highest priority is finding someone who is a good fit for our team, who is willing to learn, and is excited about what we do! This role is likely a good fit for someone with 1 – 3 years of related experience. That said, if you’re intrigued by what you read please reach out, as we are open to shaping a role for the right candidate!
- As a remote company, everyone on the team should bring a sense of curiosity and self-motivation that will keep them excited about the work we do.
- The role requires extensive collaboration, so you’ll need to be a perceptive communicator and a particularly great listener to deliver messages through multiple channels, and to multiple stakeholders, without losing clarity.
- Our Project Coordinators work on multiple projects at once, each with their own complexities, so we need folks with excellent organizational skills, a keen attention to detail.
- Strong leadership and motivational skills, to help our teams create and achieve concrete goals
- As the core of the day-to-day work, you’ll need some experience with project management methodologies. We use many Agile approaches – including tools such as Jira to manage tasking and backlogs. We also leverage standard project management approaches to tracking scope, budget, schedule, risks, etc. We don’t require certifications for our staff, and value on the job training and experience just as highly. However, if you have a Project Management Professional (PMP)® or PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)® certification, those kinds of skills would be highly relevant to this role.
- While our Project Coordinators don’t need to be functional experts, experience in digital marketing approaches and tools is useful to understanding the scope of our work. That might include experience with Content Management Systems (CMS, e.g. WordPress, Drupal), Customer Relationship Management tools (CRMs, e.g. Salesforce), EMSs, marketing automation platforms (e.g. SharpSpring), website analytics tools (e.g. Google Analytics), content or campaign creation, and/or social media marketing. Experience in consulting, user experience and/or visual design would also be complementary to the role. (And if you don’t have one we can help you work towards achieving something similar.)
Location & Availability
PTKO operates primarily as a remote company, although our employees are currently centered around three hubs: Washington, DC; the Chapel Hill to Greensboro corridor in North Carolina; and the San Francisco Bay Area. We are open to applicants in other locations, but place a priority on people being near these hubs to facilitate periodic in-person meetings, staff retreats, co-working sessions, etc.
This is a full-time position with a minimum expectation of 40 hours per week. We place a high value on our staff’s work-life balance and maintain a flexible culture that empowers our staff to manage their own schedules. While the core work hours are east coast 9am – 5pm, we do have west coast staff and clients, and we also know people have doctors appointments, plumbers appointments, and other personal things that occur during work hours that make this a somewhat flexible schedule. In short, we trust you to manage your schedule and availability in a way that meets your work and client obligations, as well as personal commitments.
This position has little to no travel. There may be occasional staff retreats, meetings, or conferences that could require travel, likely no more than 1-2 times per year.
Who’s a good fit?
We’re a small firm of about 11 staff, and just as many contractors that we work with regularly, so you’ll get to know the entire team really well! You’ll probably enjoy working with us if:
- You’re comfortable with the ambiguity of a small company and are a self-motivated person who doesn’t always require strict processes
- You’re excited about the growth and potential of being in a startup environment, and love to learn and explore new things
- You’re collaborative and, know that the team’s success is your success
- You’re willing to dive in across all types of work, even if it’s “outside your lane”
- You’re passionate about working in the mission-driven space
As a small firm, we know that each new employee is an opportunity to nurture the diverse opinions and life experiences that make up our company. A wide range of ideas and perspectives makes our team and our work stronger, and is critical to our firm’s and our clients’ success. Given that, we strongly encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, veterans, and all members of historically disadvantaged groups to apply.
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation negotiable and commensurate with experience. ParsonsTKO offers a variety of benefits currently to all employees, including:
- Medical, vision and dental insurance
- Basic Life Insurance
- AD&D with supplemental clauses
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Short and long-term disability plans available as well as access to other supplemental insurances
- Financial support for home office set up, or co-working space
- Flexible work schedules
- 27 days off each year: 15 days of PTO (non-accruing), 7 holidays, and a winter break the last week of December
- 15 days of sick time (non-accruing)
- Support for professional development opportunities, as relevant (conferences, trainings, certifications, etc)
Fill out the form below! We’re planning to conduct interviews through December and early January, with a target start date in mid or late January.