Position Description - Director of Technology
Who we are and what we do
At ParsonsTKO (PTKO), we work with mission-driven organizations to help them drive better engagement with audiences – their donors, members, grantees, employees, or anyone they communicate with regularly. We like to think our approach is a little different, blending the best of consulting firms, digital agencies, and design firms. We call what we do Engagement Architecture, combining strategy to organize outreach and messaging, the technology deployed to deliver them, and the tactics used to integrate audience touch points and interactions. We help our clients organize and manage not just their website and other communications software, but also the related marketing and outreach strategies that connect people to their mission. You can view a sampling of our clients and case studies of our work on our website.
Who we’re looking for
We’re looking for a technologist who loves people. We want you to enjoy collaboratively designing technical solutions with our clients, as well as working behind the scenes to oversee the quality and delivery of all our technical work for clients, managing technical staff and contractors, and serving in a leadership capacity as practice lead and member of the PTKO leadership team. This role is effectively a client-facing technical architect, who also has managerial responsibility as the head of our (small) technology practice. In a given week, our Director of Technology would…
Lead delivery of technical client projects
- Serve as a client facing project champion for projects with a heavy technical component, being responsible for overall project quality, delivery, client relationships, scope, timeline, and budget (with the support of a Project Manager)
- Shape the overall direction and approach to projects, including scoping and estimating work, and assigning and delegating tasks across the team
- Architect technical solutions that blend APIs, integrated off the shelf components such as CRMs and CMSs, and custom code into delightful and sustainable solutions for our clients. (Keyword: sustainable)
- Collaborate with Visual and Experience (UX) designers to ensure we design solutions that can be delivered as elegant technical applications.
Provide subject matter expertise to sales and delivery teams
- Provide recommendations on technical approaches and ideas on how client problems could be solved with technology.
- Support teams in decision making to balance work quality and level of effort within contracted scope.
- Estimate level of effort and scope for planned and potential work.
- Conduct regular check-ins with development teams to troubleshoot technical issues and review contractor build practices.
Oversee and grow the PTKO Technology practice
- Identify, recruit and manage technical contractors, including conducting quality assurance and testing of their work, and evaluating their abilities for future work
- Establish a set of standards and processes for development projects.
- Establish and lead our code review process
- Establish and coordinate functional, acceptance, and accessibility testing to ensure quality of work.
- Monitor and enforce PTKO technical standards and practices with contractors on individual client projects.
- Refine the approach for technical project delivery tools and processes, including identifying opportunities to automate repetitive work
- Update documentation on our development processes, especially that new automated process you just figured out.
Participate as a member of PTKO’s leadership team
- Coordinate with PTKO leadership to plan and manage the levels and balance of staff and contractor support required for technical project delivery
- Along with other practice leads and executive leadership, support the development and execution of company strategy
- Support the PTKO sales team in identifying and pursuing new opportunities for technical work
- Represent PTKO as an industry thought leader by writing blogs, presenting at conferences, and maintaining an active professional social media presence.
- Report on project and practice financials as required
- Provide hands-on training and professional development to build skills of technical staff
- Facilitate regular feedback sessions and annual performance reviews
- Identify professional development opportunities for technical staff
Desired skills and experience
Our highest priority is finding someone who is a good fit for our team, who is willing to learn and teach, and who is excited about what we do! We have, however, come up with this list of skills and experience we’d find valuable and would preference our hiring for. Seasoned leaders who balance their technical skills with strategic ones fit our need better than extremely fast coders. Candidates will be both conducting code reviews with developers and contractors and also presenting to non-technical clients about project direction and strategy. This role is likely a good fit for someone with at least 5- 7 years of experience in technical development
- As a remote company, everyone on the team should bring a sense of curiosity and self-motivation that will keep them excited about the work we do.
- This role will serve as Technical Lead for client projects, and requires deep technical knowledge of end-to-end systems development, including: documenting functional requirements, developing and presenting technical architecture to others, automated deployment, quality assurance, and of course front & backend web development.
- We base our approach on Agile tools and methodologies (and primarily manage tasking through Jira), so you’ll need to be a process guardian (in collaboration with our project managers) of SCRUM & Kanban rituals such as sprint planning, backlog grooming, story/hours estimation of work, and practical sprint retrospectives.
- In some cases you will serve as the product owner for technical solutions and you should be comfortable overseeing the non-technical components of software development, including goal setting and strategy, product roadmap development, and user experience/visual design. When acting in this role, you will spend quite a bit of time with clients.
- We focus on audience engagement, and experience with digital marketing software and tools that we use frequently would be a plus. Some that we use frequently include Sharpspring, Pardot, Real Magnet, Marketo, Salesforce, Salesforce Marketing Cloud, PipeDrive, Google Tag Manager, Salsa Labs, and SoapBox Engage.
- Our holistic approach means that the technical solutions we build are only one piece of our clients’ audience engagement efforts. We need a strategic thinker who knows technology is a tool to drive outcomes, and can tie what we build to a client’s organizational strategy, audiences, or marketing/communications objectives.
- You’ll foster relationships with clients, so should be able to demonstrate empathetic communication skills, and previous examples of relationship development.
- As the lead of our technical practice, you’ll manage a team of both staff and contractors so will need management and mentoring experience including performance evaluations and feedback, mentoring, and training/professional development of junior staff.
Location & Availability
PTKO operates primarily as a remote company, although our employees are currently centered around three hubs: Washington, DC; the Chapel Hill to Greensboro corridor in North Carolina; and the San Francisco Bay Area. We are open to applicants in any location, but people near or willing to travel to these hubs (and work in the relevant time zones) are preferred, to facilitate periodic in-person meetings, staff retreats, co-working sessions, etc.
This is a full-time position with a minimum expectation of 40 hours per week. We place a high value on our staff’s work-life balance and maintain a flexible culture that empowers our staff to manage their own schedules. While the core work hours are east coast 9am – 5pm, we do have west coast staff and clients, and we also know people have doctors appointments, plumbers appointments, and other personal things that occur during work hours that make this a somewhat flexible schedule. In short, we trust you to manage your schedule and availability in a way that meets your work and client obligations, as well as personal commitments.
Depending on your location, this position will require periodic travel for client meetings, staff retreats, or conferences. We estimate travel approximately 5-6 times per year. Frequency of travel could be slightly higher or lower depending on your location relative to our leadership team and client base.
Who’s a good fit?
We’re a small firm of about 11 staff, and just as many contractors that we work with regularly, so you’ll get to know the entire team really well! You’ll probably enjoy working with us if:
- You’re comfortable with the ambiguity of a small company and are a self-motivated person who doesn’t always require strict processes
- You’re excited about the growth and potential of being in a startup environment, and love to learn and explore new things
- You’re collaborative and, know that the team’s success is your success
- You’re willing to dive in across all types of work, even if it’s “outside your lane”
- You’re passionate about working in the mission-driven space
As a small firm, we know that each new employee is an opportunity to nurture the diverse opinions and life experiences that make up our company. A wide range of ideas and perspectives makes our team and our work stronger, and is critical to our firm’s and our clients’ success. Given that, we strongly encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, veterans, and all members historically disadvantaged groups to apply.
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation negotiable and commensurate with experience. ParsonsTKO offers a variety of benefits currently to all employees, including:
- Medical, vision and dental insurance
- Basic Life Insurance
- AD&D with supplemental clauses
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Short and long-term disability plans available as well as access to other supplemental insurances
- Financial support for home office set up, or co-working space
- Flexible work schedules
- 27 days off each year: 15 days of PTO (non-accruing), 7 holidays, and a winter break the last week of December
- 15 days of sick time (non-accruing)
- Support for professional development opportunities, as relevant (conferences, trainings, certifications, etc)
Fill out the form below! We’re planning to conduct interviews through January, with a target start date in February.