If you are a digital analyst, you may be having a bad day today. Lots of folks are logging into Twitter analytics this week to find that the “Export Data” button we all know and depend upon has been disabled.

Wracked by a brief bit of despair, I did what every bootstrapping techno-vet of the non-profit sector would do: I tried to find away around it.

[Update 8/3/2018: This post has become a lightning rod for folks with all kinds of Twitter export woes. What follows was a solution to one type of problem, but if it doesn’t solve yours please @byrdkrueger me on Twitter and I’d be happy to chat about your struggle, or follow me while I work on a follow-up about more ways to get at your data]


I am not recommending that you use this approach, merely raising it for discussion!

  • I do not know why Twitter disabled the export button.
  • I have found a way to get around this disabled button, but I cannot promise that the resulting data is reliable (this might be why they disabled the button), so take this method with a grain of salt, and be sure to validate your results for “reasonableness.”
  • Twitter disabled the export button, and this method undoes that. Therefore it is doing something Twitter did not intend for you to do… take that as you will.

image of twitter export hack

That being said, here is the way to get at what you need to do your jobs today!

  1. Open Twitter Analytics in Chrome browser, or any browser with an analog to the “Inspect” tool.
  2. Find your disabled “Export button,” which is all grey and unclickable.
  3. Right click on the button and select the “Inspect” option, which will open the current page’s HTML with the “export” div selected.
  4. Click the little grey arrow on the highlighted line to view the “<button” tag within.
  5. In this tag, you will see the disabled attribute (disabled=”disabled“). Double-click to edit the text, and remove this attribute entirely.
  6. You should now see your button is enabled, in full contrast black and grey, and very much clickable.
  7. Click it, wait (a little longer than usual) and your CSV file should download as normal!

I briefly checked my resulting file in Excel to verify that all the tweets were there, and the impressions and engagement numbers matched those in the analytics UI!

I reiterate my cautions and caveats from above, but otherwise: Happy analyzing.